Thursday, October 22, 2015

California Deserts

“I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams...”

For spring break 2015, I met up with my dad and step-mom in Las Vegas for a "California deserts" roadtrip.  Jerry at the time was working on base in northern Greenland, which is about as opposite from Vegas as I can imagine.  Our stops after Vegas included Death Valley NP and Palm Springs, with day trips to Joshua Tree NP and Mojave NP.

First night in Las Vegas

Palms Place




Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley (too hot for shorts!)

Dinner at the Ranch

Zabriskie Point



Evening hike after the temperature cooled a bit.


Date palms at the Ranch
Drive through Artist's Palette


Badwater Basin

Walking out to the salt flats








Wildflowers on the way to Palm Springs
Palm Springs at night from our rental
Hike from our rental


Palm Canyon, Agua Caliente Indian Reservation







Joshua Tree National Park
Early evening  hike up Ryan Mountain


Sunset from the top









Our Palm Springs rental

This is how I roll...

Mojave National Preserve
Teutonia Peak trail


















2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the desert photos-lucky it was in bloom! The baby is soooo handsome!
    I hope you have been feeling well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. August is getting so big! Awesome pictures as always! I especially like the artists palette & palm canyon shots - very different from anything I have ever seen - so cool!

    ReplyDelete