Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Mexico Off the Beaten Path

Pushing 80 mph through the wastelands of Southeastern New Mexico, passing by no name towns I became grateful that our road trip was a loop and the return drive a different route.  I thought if we had to do this portion of the drive again I might jump out of the car.  I wondered how far I'd roll through the flat, dusty, barren landscape.  We passed a tree- the first in about 150 miles, and instinctively I grabbed my camera as I do whenever I see something of interest.  Then I had to remind myself- it's just a tree!  We stopped for a snack and a stretch at a retro 50s shiny diner in Vaughn for an incredibly satisfying burger and fries and a large chocolate malt.  Back on the road, back into nothingness.
Hours pass and the landscape gradually holds interest again.  Mountains can be seen in the far distance and cacti of all shapes and sizes grow.  We arrive at Valley of the Fires recreation area.  After filling our water bottles and applying ridiculous amounts of SPF 50 we are ready to head out into the black lava fields.  It is hot, dry and windy, but it is not uncomfortable.  At these low humidity levels, you don't even realize you are sweating as it instantly evaporates and helps keep you cool. 
From our stop at the visitor center, we learn that Little Black Peak erupted about 5,000 years ago and flowed into the Tularosa Basin.  The lava flow we were about to venture into is from four to six miles wide, 160 feet thick, and considered to be one of the youngest lava flows in the continental US.  While a boardwalk takes you safely through the lava fields, the signs encourage you to explore off the path.  I carefully step in between cacti and sharp lava rocks while at the same time keeping a watchful eye and ear out for tarantulas, scorpions, and rattlesnakes (oh my!)- props to those people who actually camp here! One of the online reviews I had read prior to our visit was from a lady who observed a "herd" of tarantulas run by her while in the lava field.  As spectacular of a scene as that might be I had serious concerns I may pass out at the sight.
Continuing though the Tularosa Basin we stop at the next site of interest according to my "New Mexico Off the Beaten Path" guidebook.  Three Rivers Petroglyph is an area that boasts more than 21,000 rock carvings of birds, humans, animals, fish, insects, plants, and various geometric designs within 50 acres of the northern Chihuahuan Desert, dating between 900 and 1400.  The carvings were created by the Jornada Mogollon people for reasons still unknown.  We followed the rugged, uphill trail into the petroglyphs again keeping a watchful eye for small critters that might sting or bite.  I stepped down on something very sharp- ouch!  A cactus needle right through the sole of my minimalist trail shoes... in hindsight not the best choice of shoe for the desert.
We continued on our way and eventually arrived at the White Sands Motel in Alamogordo, our stop for the next two nights.  Too tired from our hikes in the sun to venture into the white sands that evening we picked up a six-pack of Santa Fe Pale Ale and hunkered down in our clean, air conditioned room. 
Diner in Vaughn, New Mexico

What was left of our meal after we got to it.

The boardwalk that winds through the Valley of Fires

The only tarantula we spotted on our hike

Lava caves

Lava leaper

Three Rivers Petroglyph Site




White Sands Motel- a welcome site after a long day in the sun

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your traveling adventures.
    The boardwalk through the lava fields was interesting. A unique landscape, for sure! LOVE your header photo, too! :-)
    K

    ReplyDelete